Enabling syslog in OpenLDAP 2.1.22 RH9 pkg

I've built and installed the OpenLDAP 2.1.22-4 RPMs from RedHat's RawHide
distribution on two RedHat 9 boxes (many thanks to Frank Swasey for
posting the spec file patch). Everything is going swimmingly, except
that I can't get slapd to write debugging info to syslog.

What I have done so far:
*   Edited the spec file to include --enable-syslog in the OpenLDAP
    configure command line before building the binary RPMs
*   Set loglevel to 127 in slapd.conf and restarted slapd
*   Added the following line to /etc/syslog.conf and restarted the
    syslog daemon:
    local4.*		/var/log/ldap.log
*   Ran some (successful) LDAP queries to generate log output

The output from rpmbuild shows that configure did detect syslog
and that slapd was built with syslog enabled. What's odd is that
I did the same 4 things listed above with the previous build of OpenLDAP
we were using (OpenLDAP 2.1.17 running under RedHat 7.2, built again
from a locally customized RedHat RPM) and the syslog facility worked
fine.

Have any of you other RH9 / RawHide RPM OpenLDAP users out there enabled
syslog before building your binary RPMs? If so, can you suggest what I
may be doing wrong?

--
Kirk Turner-Rustin
Programmer/Analyst