Re: defining an LDAP schema for address books and PIMs

Hi,

Edward Buck <edwardbuck@netscape.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the list so bear with me. :-)
>
> I was wondering if there's an effort (working group of some sort) to
> define and/or promote a standard LDAP schema that meets the unique
> requirements of PIMs and groupware servers.
>
> It's sort of assumed these days when using LDAP that many address
> book/contact manager attributes just don't work or require custom schema
> support on both the server and the client.  A standard address book
> schema that everyone agreed on would eliminate/mitigate these problems.
> ~ See the mozillaOrgPerson schema as an example of what's needed by
> address book/PIM software.
>
> We're working on ldap support in Openoffice.org and we're wondering if
> there's any sort of consensus in this area.  If there is no such working
> group, is there interest in creating one?

I do agree, there should be a combined effort to design a
addressbook.schema. Allthough there is some basic information, as
inetorg.person.schema or rfc-2739 available already.
The Kolab/Kroupware/Horde alliance has designed a schema, Evolution
has designed a schema, ldap-abook, rolodap and whatever have you have
designed schemas, and not at least, me myself :-)
The main problem is, that every developer is designing her own
attributes, not taking into consideration public available information
as RFC's and drafts.
I'm quite interested in this topic, as it is OT on this list, please
any further mail as PM.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung