Re: [openldap 2.1.12 + Berkeley 4.1.24] "warm" backup ?

Helene.Lastennet@alcatel.fr wrote:

I would like to be able to provide regularly a "warm" backup of my
databases (that is I don't want to stop openldap to save my databases)
but I know only the "cold" backup operation using slapcat

is "Warm" backup available for the openldap version 2.1.12 ?

It isn't so much the Openldap version as the BDB version.

I'm going to stick my neck out here. You should be able simply to copy your single BDB log file to a backup directory. You can build a complete database from this log file and nothing else. I just did it, to check ;)

HOWEVER. If you have the Sleepycat BDB 4.1.24 docs (i.e. if you compiled your own,) read the following man pages before you do anything or allow yourself any feeling of being safe:

db_checkpoint
db_archive
db_recover (especially the '-c' option.)

By choosing BDB IMHO you've chosen the best and safest of the backend alternatives. However, 4.1.24 has bugs that have been corrected in 4.1.25.

HTH,

Tony

-- Tony Earnshaw

Looking backwards is always easy with hindsight

http://www.billy.demon.nl
Mail: tonni@billy.demon.nl