Re: ldap performance a load problems

Jeremy Hansen said:

> What can be done about this load?  Is there any tuning parameters I
> can  take advantage of that will lessen the load of slapd running on
> this  server?  I want ldap to be my center of auth for logins, apache,
> etc.

Much depends on indexing and caching.  You do not state what Apache
version you are using or what Apache module you are using for LDAP-based
lookups.  If you use auth_ldap, consider the caching directives it
provides to minimize your load.  In some circumstances (especially with
your non-webserver services), you might consider running the nscd
caching daemon if provided in whatever OS you're running.

And be sure you've indexed whatever attributes you're searching on (such
as uid).

Not much else can be said without knowing more of your setup.  You may
also wish to post to groups more focused on the individual tools you're using
(like the one for your web server auth module).
-Alan

Alan Sparks, UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
<asparks@doublesparks.net>