slapd misses TCP state transition on startup

Greetings folks....

I am in the midst of debugging odd startup and shutdown situations with my slapd, which
has been otherwise very stable over several weeks, up until today.

Startup: slapd starts up, but netstat reports that it is in TCP state CLOSED
for port 389.  Somehow it has not made the transition to state LISTEN.

Shutdown: slapd no longer listens to the INT signal to shutdown, so I must shut
it down ungracefully via kill -9.

Version: OpenLDAP 2.1.22
System: AIX 4.3.3

I am using this slapd with 3 BDB backends, 1 for each of 3 different suffixes.  Today
we were busy adding 30,000 data records into 1 backend database (for a total of 35,000),
while doing some functionality testing against another backend.

So far, my debug log points out that BDB initializes ok, and slapd starts up
without additional error....however, while in TCP state CLOSED, no connectivity
is possible.

I have used db_recover to ensure sane BDB backends, and would like to use db_stat output
to debug as well (if relevant), but am not able to get a clean shutdown at this point.

Any tips...?

Thanks!

Corey

Corey Scholefield | coreys@uvic.ca | +1.250.472.4549
Systems Administrator | UVic Computing Services
Victoria, B.C. Canada