Re: master for one part, slave for another part of the tree

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:25:38AM -0300, Andreas wrote:
> > openldap server, main site, master & slave
> > +-------------------------------------+
> > |          dc=domain,dc=com           |slapd.conf:
> > |           /      \                  |(...)
> > |          /        \                 |database bdb
> > |         /          \ slave part     |suffix dc=domain,dc=com
> > |   ou=people        +-------------+  |(...)
> > |    - uid=john      | ou=branch1  |  |
> > |    - uid=martha    |    /        |  |database bdb
> > |    ...             |   /         |  |suffix
ou=branch1,dc=domain,dc=com
> > |                    | ou=people   |  |uptatedn
cn=replicator,ou=branch1,dc=domain,dc=com
> > |                    | - uid=smith |  |(...)
>
> Oops, ok, this doesn't work, the second database can't be a subordinate of
another
> one it seems:
>
> slapd[11981]: /etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 82: suffix already served by
a preceeding backend "dc=domain,dc=com"

You have to get the database entries in the correct order in slapd.conf.
More precise suffix ones first, the generic ones later.

We are experimenting with this arrangement at present.  The configuration
works, but we get occasional non-specific internal errors related to bdb.