LDAP auth using diffrent auth methods

Hello

 I have been looking at this  list for a while
I have heard about  MD5, SHA, SSH, Cyrus SASL, and things like that,
But I am not sure if all of  these are of same level tools or one has advantage over other.
Even though a good number of people are having issues with setting up Cyrus SASL, it seems more and more are trying to put Cyrus SASL together then pam or anyhting else.

I will appreciate some enlightenment, or even some referals where I can get some comparison I jus t want to know why SALS , why not pam.

Thanks

Do you Yahoo!?