Re: Indexing uniquemember attribute in a group

Gary LaVoy wrote:

So I tried to add an index line in slapd.conf for uniquemember and when I
try to start up the server I get an error saying I can't index that
attribute.

I get the same thing with owner.

But not with any other attribute I have as part of my groups.

Here is what I have today:

index           objectClass     eq
index           appledsid       eq
index           cn              eq,sub
index           givenName       eq,sub
index           mail            eq,sub
#index           owner           eq,sub
index           sn              eq,sub
index           telephonenumber eq,sub
#index           uniqueMember    eq,sub

Any clues as to WHY I can't index these two attributes?

The knowledge of the software version you're using
might help a bit; owner and uniqueMember have rather
different syntaxes, so the probelm can be in many places.
"owner" has "Distinguished Name" syntax, while
"uniqueMember" has "Name And Optional UID" syntax;
the indexer for the latter is NULL, that is, no indexing,
nor filtering, function is available; the former, instead,
uses regular octetStringIndexer and octetStringFilter
functions, so I don't see any problems.  But of course, if
you're not using HEAD code, things might be different,
and, honestly, I don't feel like going back to older versions
to see what was going on.

Pierangelo.