Re: Invalid rootDN on OpenLDAP for z/OS

I don't think an empty suffix causes a problem, because with the OpenLDAP
we build for windows it works without problems.
Anyway when we set a suffix like "dc=msys, dc=com" , we get a similar
problem:

>slapd -f slapd.conf -t -d -1
 init: initiated .
reading config file
line 0 (pidfile      /u/star/tools/openldap/bin/slapd.pid)
line 0 (argsfile     /u/star/tools/openldap/bin/slapd.args)
line 0 (database    ldbm)
line 0 (suffix      "dc=msys, dc=com")
>>> dnPrettyNormal: <>
=> ldap_bv2dn(Î4&Î5¬,84)
<= ldap_bv2dn(,0)=2
: line 477790252: suffix DN is invalid
config check failed
 shutdown: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

The directory db exists and has rwx for anyone, so that should be no
problem. We also tried using absolute paths in the config file without an
effect.
We think this problem occures because of the EBCDIC encoding on the host,
but without a suffix and a root dn the config check succeeded and slapd can
be started.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

               Thomas Bröker

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Phone: +49-(0)7031-16-2401
eMail: broeker@de.ibm.com

> The slapd.conf contains the following:
>
> include         ../schema/core.schema
> pidfile      ./slapd.pid
> argsfile   ./slapd.args

are relative pathnames such a good idea?

> database    ldbm
> suffix      ""

put a proper suffix in here

> rootdn      "cn=manager"
> rootpw      secret
> directory   ../db

what are the permissions on this directory, does it exist?

> index   objectClass   eq

GREG
--
Greg Matthews