RE: bdb_db_cache problem

Oops, I meant version 2.1.22.........

-----Original Message-----
From: Herman Meerlo [mailto:herman.meerlo@logicacmg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 4:53 PM
To: 'openldap-software@openldap.org'
Subject: bdb_db_cache problem

Hi list,

I am currently testing OpenLDAP 2.1.12 with Berkeley DB 4.1.25 backend but I
run into a problem with the bdb_db_cache. I am testing by doing many modify
operations (the attribute that is modified is also indexed) in parallel. The
problem is that on many Berkeley DB calls I get the following error
"Transaction that opened the DB handle is still active". I have done some
research on this and I think it is because of the fact that the first
transaction that accessed the cache was responsible for the DB_OPEN call.
But before this transaction has been finished another transaction tries to
use the DB handle from the cache. This leads the mentioned error. I am now
wondering whether the DB_OPEN should use a transaction ID at all. Why
transaction protect it? I have made a patch to test by always using the
DB_AUTO_COMMIT flag and this seems to work fine now.
Can anyone tell me why the transaction ID is passed to the DB_OPEN call? And
whether my solution makes any sense?

Please note that this is my first post so these may just be some stupid
questions for you.

Herman Meerlo

recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential
information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied,
disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an
attachment and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.