Performance with multiple DBs?

I am wondering if anyone has done any performace analysis where there are
multiple DBs on an LDAP server that have different usage characteristics?
I am wondering if running multiple instances of OpenLDAP on a single box
centered around specific application usage would improve performance? Here
I am thinking that each instance would have a set of DBs that it
maintained.

It would require multiple ports, but would there be any realistic
performance increase? My initial feeling is that it would be a performance
decrease across the board, but in the event that one instance was seeing
high volume, it may provide better performance to users on the other
instances? Thoughts?

Thanks!
-lon