Re: how to get openldap server time?

Hi,

I need to retrieve the time of the LDAP server precisely for data syncing.  Since proper data syncing is critical, a bit of defensive programming is definitely need it here.  It is not sufficient to just assume all the servers are properly configured.

At any rate can someone point me to more information on "cn=monitor"?  I tried to lookup the current docs on openldap.org but couldn't find any reference to it.

I did tried
ldapsearch -s base -b'cn=monitor' 'objectclass=*'

But I got "No such object"

-thanks
James

--- On Sun 07/27, Bernhard Erdmann < be@berdmann.de > wrote:From: Bernhard Erdmann [mailto: be@berdmann.de]To: michael@stroeder.com Cc: blueyonder@excite.com, openldap-software@OpenLDAP.orgDate: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:37:38 +0200Subject: Re: how to get openldap server time?Michael Ströder wrote:
[...]
> I guess the original poster asked for retrieving the time of the LDAP
> server via cn=monitor or similar. Sometimes this is handy for data sync
> processes eliminating the time shift.

Hi Michael,

most times you are served much better by eliminating time differences
between two and more systems using NTP instead of hacking around the
differences.
If two systems agree on UTC, you don't have to consider a time shift.

Regards
Bernhard

Eliminate pop-ups before they appear!
Visit www.PopSwatter.com now - It's FREE.