library questions: LDAPMessage, msgid, ...

First, is this the right list for help with the client library?

I'm working on an extension library for GNU Guile using the OpenLDAP
client library.  So C objects such as LDAP*, LDAPMessage*, and msgid
(did I miss any?) will be accessible as Scheme objects.  I'm wondering
about lifetime issues.  Suppose an LDAP* object is destroyed with
ldap_unbind() while there are still LDAPMessage* and msgid objects
lying around.  What happens to them?  Am I responsible for destroying
them first?  Are they automatically destroyed?  Should I destroy them
afterwards?  Should I just not touch them?

Also, is there any documentation giving a big-picture view of how a
query, etc., works at the C level?  The man pages aren't quite as
illuminating as I'd like.

paul