multi-value attribute (roleOccupant) filters --How to?

Hello,

The answer to this must be easy, but I can't seem to find it!

Is it possible to construct a search that filters on a multi-value attribute's value(s)?  Specifically, I want to search the roleOccupant attribute of an Organizational Role.

For example, I have the following (role) entry in my directory:

  dn: cn=CITY EMERGENCY RESPONDERS,dc=ROLES,o=MYCOMPANY,c=US
  cn: City Emergency Responders
  roleOccupant: UID=HALL,DC=USERS,O=MYCOMPANY,C=US
  roleOccupant: UID=NICK,DC=USERS,O=MYCOMPANY,C=US
  objectClass: organizationalRole

I want to issue a search something like this:

    ldapsearch -b dc=ROLES,o=CHAIN,c=US (roleOccupant=*hall*)

In this example, I receive no hits and the slapd log contains:  filter='(?=undefined)'

If I search with filter (roleOccupant=*) the filter='(?=undefined)' goes away, but I still get no hits.

I'm using:
  OpenLDAP 2.1.16
  Back-sql (MS SQL Server 2000)

Have had this version up and running for a couple of months with success on a variety of other searches, filters, etc.

My *.schema files are unmodified from what came with the 2.1.16 distribution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ken Turley
Invizeon Corp.