mapping one search to another

I'm using openldap 2.1.21 running on Solaris9. I've got it working and
behaving itself with a RedHat9 client (with tls) and also with solaris 8
(without encryption).

I now need to get it working with sol9 but sol9 searches for
(&(objectclass=automount)(automountkey=foobar)) as opposed to solaris 8
(&(nismapname=auto.users)(cn=foobar)) when searching for the users home
directories (where foobar is the user group corresponding to
/home/foobar/username home directory).

How can I map one onto the other? do I need a service search descriptor
or objectclass mapping or attribute mapping? Am I oversimplifying the
problem?

apologies if this is a faq (i cant find it)...

TIA

GREG
--
Greg Matthews