schema definition precedence

unfortunately a developer made the following change to core.schema and
relies on it.

from...
objectclass ( 2.5.6.17 NAME 'groupOfUniqueNames' SUP top STRUCTURAL
MUST ( uniqueMember $ cn )
MAY ( businessCategory $ seeAlso $ owner $ ou $ o $ description ) )

to...
objectclass ( 2.5.6.17 NAME 'groupOfUniqueNames' SUP top STRUCTURAL
MUST ( cn )
MAY ( uniqueMember $ businessCategory $ seeAlso $ owner $ ou $ o $
description ) )

I'm happy to setup a local.schema file with his changes in it. However
can I leave the NAME as is and just have it override the previous class
defined in the core.schema??

Or do I have to change the NAME in my local.schema and get the
programmer to update his code to use my new objectclass??

thanks,

ajt.