ldap over ssh

Hello,

I'm looking at the security implications, and performance issues with running ldap queries and replication over ssh encrypted tunnels instead of tls. Has anyone done any comparisons or have any experience with this? Any issues?

My initial testing seems to show that it works well, and is even faster for queries with large result sets with ssh compression on, though it's about 1.5 - 2x slower than direct ldap connections (unencrypted) with small queries, which is acceptable for my uses. How does tls/ssl compare to that?

Thanks,
Ken A.