Re: Newbie - OpenLDAP won't start

>Every how-to and readme I read says that I don't need to create the
>database first - just run it. But it doesn't run - here is the info from
>my running it /usr/libexec/slapd -d 4

-H "ldap:/// ldaps:///" in slapd command?

Cheers,
Kent Soper

"You don't stop playing because you grow old ...
       you grow old because you stop playing."

Linux Technology Center, Linux Security
phone:  1-512-838-9216
e-mail:  dksoper@us.ibm.com

                      "Gary Allen Vollink"
                      <gvldap@corvu.com>               To:       <openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org>
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      owner-openldap-software@O        Subject:  Newbie - OpenLDAP won't start
                      penLDAP.org

                      06/12/2003 03:03 PM

Hi,

2.1.21 (same occurred on 2.1.19, but I built the latest anyway)...  I
can't get OpenLDAP to start a.  ( I have seen MANY posts in archive of
people with similar issues, but never an answer that I could apply to this
situation. )

I have recently Downloaded, Configured, Compiled and installed these
packages (RedHat 7.2):

Sleepycat Berkeley - db-4.1.25
openssl - 0.9.7b
openldap - 2.1.21 (uses the above packages)
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var \
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-syslog \
  --enable-dynamic --disable-ipv6 --with-readline --with-threads \
  --with-tls=openssl --enable-slapd --enable-cleartext --enable-crypt \
  --enable-bdb --enable-monitor --enable-slurpd --with-gnu-ld

All packages built successfully with zero errors.  Here is my Config, sans
comments.

-+-+-+-slapd.conf-+-+-+-
include /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
pidfile /var/slapd.pid
argsfile /var/slapd.args
access to dn.base="" by * read
access to * by self write by users read by anonymous auth
database bdb
suffix "dc=cvweb"
rootdn "cn=manager,dc=cvweb"
rootpw {SSHA}HV...
directory /var/openldap-data
index objectClass eq
-+-+-+-end-+-+-+-

Every how-to and readme I read says that I don't need to create the
database first - just run it. But it doesn't run - here is the info from
my running it /usr/libexec/slapd -d 4

-+-+-+--d 4 output-+-+-+-
daemon_init: <null>
bdb_initialize: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.1.25: (December 19,
2002) bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
bdb_db_open: dc=corvu
bdb(dc=corvu): unable to join the environment
bdb_db_open: dbenv_open failed: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
backend_startup: bi_db_open(0) failed! (11)
bdb(dc=corvu): txn_checkpoint interface requires an environment
configured for the transaction subsystem bdb_db_destroy: txn_checkpoint
failed: Invalid argument (22)
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

And finally, /var/openldap-data
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jun 10 21:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Apr 10 09:37 ..
-rw------- 1 root root 0 Jun 10 21:19 __db.001

The above (__db.001) is created automatically by running OpenLDAP.

Could somebody tell me what stupid thing I am missing!?

Thank you,
Gary Allen Vollink