RE: '/etc/init.d/ldap start' vs. 'slapd'

Thanks, that helped me solve it!  I have no /etc/sysconfig/openldap file...
so that was not it. But in the /etc/init.d/ldap file I saw that slapd is
started with the parameter '-u ldap', which starts it with the user ldap.
When I used that parameter to start it on the commandline with debugging
info turned on, it said permission denied on the database files
(/var/lib/ldap/*). Permissions changed, and everything runs smooth now..
thanks muchly for the hints!!