RE: International characters (OpenLDAP v2.0, PHP 4)

This is not a UTF-8 encoded string. It kind of looks like ISO8859-1. In UTF-8
the character 'Ã' would be encoded as two separate octets 0xd8 0x83. Whatever
tool you used to convert text to UTF-8 is broken, or you're using it
incorrectly.

  -- Howard Chu