Re: root can't login when ldap service fails

In a message dated: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:24:15 CDT
John Beamon said:

>I'm working on Red Hat Linux 7.3, OpenLDAP 2.0.27.  pam_ldap was set up
>with RH's authconfig tool.  When the ldap service doesn't start or is
>unreachable for some reason, root is not allowed to login.  I set
>pam_min_uid to 500 in /etc/ldap.conf.  I'm not finding anything else to
>check, so I would appreciate some help.  We're not putting root into
>LDAP, obviously.  What am I missing?

First, don't use GUIs to configure things like this, they hide too
much of what's going on, and prevent you from learning how the system
really works.

Next, check the contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf.  You probably have a
line like:

	passwd: ldap

when you likely need:

	passwd: files ldap

Read the man page for nsswitch.conf to figure out how this stuff
works, it's pretty simple.

HTH,
--

Seeya,