Re: Deployment testimonials?

Brandon,

We have a similar setup, though smaller scale: ~6,000 users. We're a
University department, so at the beginning of each semester, users
(students) all go to create/re-enable their accounts. That means during
most of the semester, most of our LDAP queries are reads. But, at the
beginning of the semester, we get a ton of writes. When we first
deployed the system, and the start of semester hit, we experienced a lot
of corrupted entries. We ended up serializing the account creation
process with a Postgres database. Then we built a cron job that flushed
pending requests, sequentially. This solved all our problems. Note that
our LDAP server also provides user-name to id mappings for our file
system also, which gets used quite heavily. So, if you anticipate any
large amount of writes during a period of heavy reads, you might be
leary. At the time we had our OpenLDAP 2.0.27 deployed on pretty meager
RedHat 7.3 boxen. I dont' know how 2.1.x would have performed. I also
don't know what a hardware upgrade would have done for us.

Hope this helps,
Dave

--
Dave Smith