can't contact ldap server (81), please help

Title: can't contact ldap server (81), please help

Hi,

I have just installed openldap 2.1.17 on my RedHat 9.0 Linux box along with other prerequisites like BDB 4.1.25 and Openssl. The configure finally was successful. I am following your "A Quick-Start Guide" in your Administrator's Guide. When I get to the point to run the "make test", I get the following error:

ldap-bind: Can't contact LDAP server (81)
Test Failed.

Even when I want to start the server by running the command :

        /usr/local/libexec/slapd, nothing happens and the "ps -ef | grep slapd" doesn't show anything indicating the daemon hasn't started from the start.

The "ldapsearch" command generates the above error message as well.

Would you have any suggestions as to where I should start looking first, please?

Thank you very much,

Afsheen Fatemi