Re: inability to add entries to openldap

> Dear list,
>
> I'm still trying to add entires to openldap.
>
> I was unable to do so using sasl authentication, as I mentioned in my
> two precious unanswered postings, and am now trying -x.
>
> Still no luck though.
>
> Trying to add the entries created by padl's migrate_bas.pl:
>
> [root@bar MigrationTools-44]# ldapadd -x -D
> "cn=root,dc=kic,dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net" -W -f migrate_base.out.ldif
> Enter LDAP Password:
> adding new entry "dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net"
> ldapadd: update failed: dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net
> ldap_add: No such object (32)
>
> This is the very first entry in the file.
>
> My thought is "well of course there's no such object, I'm trying to add
> it!".

The message might appear misleading, because the missing object
of course is not the one you're trying to add; my guess is that
you're trying to add this entry to a database whose suffix
is related to "dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net" (e.g. "dc=net" or "")
but the base entry does not exist; One thing is puzzling me:
how ca you bind as "cn=root,dc=kic,dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net"
if "dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net" does not exist yet? If this is
your rootdn, then I would suggest "cn=root,dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net"
if "dc=muangchiangrai,dc=net" is your suffix.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it