Re: "disallow bind_anon" and "require authc"

At 12:18 PM 5/22/2003, Guy Middleton wrote:
>The slapd.conf man page says that 'disallow bind_anon' "disables acceptance
>of anonymous bind requests", and also 'require authc' "requires authentication
>prior to directory operations".

The first tells the server to return an error if the client attempts
an anonymous bind request.  Before (assuming not previously bound),
during, and after this bind operation, the user is treated
anonymously.

The second tells the server to return an error for all operations
(except those used to establish identities) if the user has not
yet established its identity.

>So are these two configuration options equivalent?  It looks to me as if
>they do the same thing.

No.

Kurt