RE: Welcome to openldap-software

openssl only verifies that the signature on the cert matches the cert issuer.
It does not verify that the CN in the cert matches any particular hostname.

> I don't know if vertical bars are allowed in CNs like the
> certificate I
> have, but since the certificate came from Verisign, I suspect
> that they are
> OK, even if rarely used.

I'm not aware of any spec that allows this format.

> Is this a known bug in openldap?

No. The cert DN does not conform to the RFCs that dictate how certificates
are used with LDAP. (See RFC2830.)

> Is there a good work-around, short of buying a new certificate?

Since Verisign issued you a cert that is unsuitable for your intended use,
they should replace it for free.

  -- Howard Chu