Re: API Programming questions

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Ugen wrote:

> >> That is not always possible. When the project is built on extensively
> >> modified server, rewriting it again is a hassle not worth doing.
> >

> > Maybe extensively modifying the server was simply going the wrong way?
>
> No, it was the right and the only way. Working on custom product will do
> that to you sometimes:)
>
> > That's something misleading with Open Source: It sometimes looks
> > attractive to leave the code stream but it's not in the long run...
> >
> > So your rant does not seems appropriate to me.
>
> And your sanctimony does not seem appropriate to me. The answer "upgrade to
> latest version" always struck me as mean, ridiculous and something
> worthy of Microsoft.
> "latest version" only works when it is a drop in replacement for an old
> version. new
> OpenLDAP is NOT a drop in replacement in any shape or form. simply
> abandoning
> users of previous version is a bad customer service and a bad way to
> make people
> like your project. Good projects provide support and maintenance to
> older versions,
> especially something that was one less then current.

I respectfully disagree.  There is no customer service here.  You can say
that the community failed, but to blame the developers is wrong.  It is
openldap developers who decide the direction of the project.  You can
become a developer and perhaps influence the directon of the project or
you can pay someone to develop something you need.

--
Igor