Samba+LDAP+PDC

Hello everyone.

Well, I have been working very hard lately, trying to get a server up to act as our Samba PDC with LDAP. So far, everything seems to be working well. I've been able to get samba 2.2.8 and openldap 2.0.27 installed with no problems. I've setup my config files (ldap.conf, slapd.conf, smb.conf) as well as added some initial entries to the LDAP directory.

I've been able to add a user to the directory and set the password for that user.

This is where I wanted to ask some questions:

Now, let me try and explain what I want to do:

As it is now, our network is setup in a workgroup, with 30+ users. I want all of our users to be able to join the Domain/Samba PDC. They will not be using roaming profiles, just login to their workstation into the Domain.

What I am trying to understand is the best way to go about adding my users to the domain as well as authenticating against the domain. It may seem vague, but im a little confused here myself.

I thought i'd post some of my initial entries and go from there. Here goes:

# mycompany, com
dn: dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain
dc: mycompany

# Groups, mycompany, com
dn: ou=Groups,dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: Groups

# Users, mycompany, com
dn: ou=Users,dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: Users

# Computers, mycompany, com
dn: ou=Computers,dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: Computers

# Domain Admins, Groups, mycompany, com
dn: cn=Domain Admins,ou=Groups,dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectClass: posixGroup
gidNumber: 200
cn: Domain Admins
memberUid: administrator

# Domain Users, Groups, mycompany, com
dn: cn=Domain Users,ou=Groups,dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectClass: posixGroup
gidNumber: 201
cn: Domain Users

# Administrators, Groups, mycompany, com
dn: cn=Administrators,ou=Groups,dc=mycompany,dc=com
objectClass: posixGroup
gidNumber: 220
cn: Administrators

That is just some initial entries. Here is what I have questions about:

I am going to have about 3-4 groups. For instance, officers, processors and admin.
Now, I need to add my users to the PDC. From what I have read, not only do I need to add my users to the PDC, but a machine/computer account as well, correct?

So, my question is what is the best way to add my users to the PDC and their machine accounts?

Secondly, as you can see in my LDAP directory above, I have some initial entires. I am unclear as how to add my users to the server and LDAP and make sure they go into the correct group and correct part of the LDAP Directory. That make sense? For example, if I have a user named Todd that needs to go into the group "officers" how would I go about doing that?

Lastly, (for now :) ) when I go around to my Windows 2000 workstations to have my users join the domain, from some prior testing, once I change it from a workgroup to a domain, a username and password box will pop up. What username and password must I use here? Is it what I have specified in my slapd.conf and smb.conf: "cn=Manager,dc=company,dc=com"

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you!
Best,

Jason