Duplicate cn entries

Using OpenLDAP 2.0.27. When I try to do an ldap_mod_add to add a duplicate value to the cn attribute of an object, OpenLDAP correctly refuses to perform the operation, claiming "Type or value exists". This, I believe, is correct behavior. For example, if I have an object whose cn is Bart, and I try to do ldap_mod_add to add a new cn value of Bart, OpenLDAP correctly refuses. However, when I do an ldap_modify or an ldap_add that would create duplicate cn entries, OpenLDAP _does_ perform the modification. Is this correct behavior? Is there a rule with regard to duplicate entries like this?

--Dave