update propagation question

Hello.

I plan to have a master directory, which replicates a subset of its data to
two read-only slaves, which will be used for authentication and other
service applications. My question seems simple enough, but I haven't seen
examples or useful testimonials in any of my searches:

I'm working on simply getting users the ability to change their password.
Doing this when they can only see a read-only directory seems to insist that
this read-only directory has to either send back an update referral to the
client, or it has to perform the update on behalf of the client and return
the result (success or failure) to the client. Also, the password change
should be reflected on both slave servers nearly instantly -- this part is
really stumping me right now. Ideas?

brian.