Re: Compile Issues on AIX 5.1

> The first problems were found with the configure script. It just won't find
> the BDB and openssl libraries while they reside in /usr/local/lib and
> /usr/local/ssl/lib (same for includes). To get the package to compile I had
> to set the ...FLAGS environment variables myself with some of the found
> include and lib directories. (all won't work, the list would be to long)
>
> After compile the make test fails. Also after installing the binary has
> problems locating libraries. This is because it's lokking for libraries in
> places where they shouldn't be. (/usr/libraries instead of somewere in
> /usr/local...)
>
> Does anybody have a patch to get the package to compile? Did anybody ever
> get it to compile in an AIX 5.x environment? (besides IBM)

I have had success recently with configuring, compiling, linking, and executing
OpenLDAP 2.1 on AIX 4.3.3, but have not been so lucky with AIX 5.2.0, where the
configure step fails to find the Berkeley DB libraries.

Given that I am able to compile and link in AIX 4.3.3, I felt that a similar
strategy would be acceptable for AIX 5.2, but so far, no luck...

Here are some of the details;

System: AIX 5.2.0.0
Compiler: IBM C for AIX 6.0.0.2
OpenLDAP versions: 2.1.16, 2.1.17
Berkeley DB: 4.1.25 (patched)

Here is how I launch configure, with settings for CC, CPPFLAGS, etc...

CC=/usr/vac/bin/xlc_r \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib" \
MKDEP="/usr/local/src/openldap/build/mkdep.aix" \
LIBS="-lc_r -lssl -ldb-4.1" \
./configure

The configure proceeds to;

checking for db.h... yes
checking for Berkeley DB link (default)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb41)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-41)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4.1)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4-1)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-4)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb4)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb3)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-3)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb2)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-2)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb1)... no
checking for Berkeley DB link (-ldb-1)... no
configure: error: BDB: BerkeleyDB not available

I know the libraries are available in my environment, and have followed
all the recommendations that I can find online for how to compile OpenLDAP
for AIX, as I know this system is trickier than most.

Again, I am successful with AIX 4.3.3 with the above configure environment,
but not AIX 5.2.0.

I have heard of others on this list that have had success with AIX 5.1.....

Thanks for any AIX 5.2 tips...!

Corey Scholefield
Unix Systems Administrator
University of Victoria, B.C. Canada