RE: proxy a single attribute

This is the way back-ldap is intended to be used.

> However, what I really *want*
> to do when I go
> into production is simply proxy requests for certain
> attributes, getting the
> rest from the local server.

We've explored this on the -devel list. OpenLDAP doesn't do this.

> Is there no way to do something like this in my LDIF:
>
> dn: cn=jonesy, dc=mydomain,dc=org
> objectclass:..
> physicalDeliveryOfficeName: ldap://other.dapserver.org/ldapquerystringhere

No. The content of this attribute is just a Directory String, there is no way
to store a value here that will be interpreted as a special pointer to
something else.

> My feeling is that this will be disgustingly slow, but it
> would make some
> other things easier (which aren't really dependent on speed).
> Is there a way
> to get the same effect somehow?

You can do all kinds of manipulations using back-perl, as one example. You
might consider just adding a labeledURI attribute to the entry and having
your application chase that itself.

  -- Howard Chu