namingContext and defaultNamingContext

I've seen the top level attributes "namingContext" and
"defaultNamingContext" defined on a couple of LDAP
servers (iPlanet and Windows ADS). These attributes
seem to hold the base dn(s).

However, after setting up my OpenLDAP server, I don't
see this defined when performing a base level
"objectClass=*" query. Should I? If this attribute a
requirement? It would be nice if it were, since then
LDAP clients could ask the server what its default
base dn is.

Thanks,
Dave