RE: difference between ldaps and startTLS

Yes.

> Other than that, the TLS and SSL protocols are very similar.

This sentence is a non-sequitur. Don't confuse the session setup mechanism
with the security protocol. TLS and SSL are, for all practical purposes,
completely interchangeable. But whether TLS is similar to or different from
SSL is completely orthogonal to how StartTLS relates to ldaps.

> > An other problem is if I run slapd only with ldaps I'm sure that
> > nobody can access to the slapd server without SSL.
> > It's not the case if I use the extended operation startTLS.
>
> True, though I suspect it's the other way around in practice: A library
> which implements TLS is likely to implement SSL as well, since they are
> so similar.  OTOH, if you have have an old LDAP implementation which
> does not implement TLS, you could still run it inside SSL if you have
> that.
>
> I imagine the advantages of TLS over SSL is that TLS is better
> integrated with LDAP, and that it doesn't take up another port.

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200201/msg00042.html
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200206/msg00387.html

The OpenLDAP library doesn't implement either SSL or TLS. That's what we use
the OpenSSL library for. The OpenLDAP library *does* implement ldaps and
StartTLS. On either type of session you may wind up negotiating the use of
SSL or TLS.

  -- Howard Chu