Re: Are my ACLs messed up or is gq?

That version of gq works just fine, I use it all the time at work.

The 'root' user that you are talking about, I presume is the one that is
in your slapd.conf, is that correct?  You don't need to define access for
him with the acls.  He's root, he does what he pleases.

Looks to me like you are probably authenticating as an anonymous user,
since, any/all users have read access.  You can run slapd in debug mode (I
usually use 7, ie '/usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 7 &') and see what the
output of that is.  You will probably want to setup your acls to allow
anonymous bind only access (ie. 'by anonymous bind') .

Hope that's helpful

paul wilson