RE: deferring operation?

slapd uses a thread pool. Threads it creates are never reaped, they're
re-used for subsequent operations. The old default was for a maximum of 32
threads, the current versions default to a max of 16. If you haven't
explicitly raised the maximum threads in your slapd.conf, then you've
probably encountered a bug. 16 is probably still too many for your 1GB RAM. I
don't recall what the default stack size was in version 2.1.6, and I don't
feel like looking it up at the moment. It has varied from as small as 2MB to
as large as 16MB per thread through the various releases. grep for
LDAP_PVT_THREAD_STACK_SIZE in your include directory...

  -- Howard Chu