RE: LDIF and structural objectclasses

Normally libldif will only base64 encode a value if it finds unprintable or
special characters in it. However, libldif is hardcoded to always base64
encode userPassword. This has been its behavior since August 1999; I'd
imagine that it's done like this to prevent passwords from accidentally being
revealed to casual observers. The encoding is of course trivial, but there
aren't many people who can decode it in their heads...

  -- Howard Chu