Re: BDB database maintenance

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry, I am reading this your message again and again and really can not get to your point.
Look, I promise continue to discuss with you this no doubt meaningful subject if you will manage to explain me what means

"end-user tuning".

OpenLDAP is software, it has nothing to do with surgery.

Jeremy Ardley wrote:

I quote http://www.sleepycat.com/company/pdfs/newbdbrelationalwhite.pdf

Data Administration May Not Be Needed

Eliminating SQL often means eliminating or reducing database administration
costs, too. Berkeley DB installations seldom need a DBA. In many Berkeley DB
deployments, the end user may not even realize that a database component is
part of the product - how many cell phone users think about a data table
lookup when searching for a number in their personal address book?

Berkeley DB operates without end-user backups, installation, or tuning.

My question to the developers of back-bdb is why does the back-bdb use of
Berkeley DB require end-user backups and tuning?  This includes the
requirement to mananage the log files and to perform database recovery after
abnormal shutdown.

Is the Berkeley article just plain wrong?  Or is there something special
about back-bdb ?