Re: CAN LOGIN WORK WITHOUT PAM

tir, 22.04.2003 kl. 13.05 skrev Nitin k.:

> My question is what's the difference in getent and login as far as
> LDAP is concerned, if any AND Is PAM support imperative for the
> Login prog. to work with LDAP ?

You need PAM for login if the user is an LDAP-based user, not if the
user is an /etc/passwd and shadow user. That's as far as Solaris and
Linux are concerned, at any rate.

As far as getent is concerned, do (Linux) 'strace getent passwd $user
2>&1 | grep open' to see which files are being opened. You won't find
PAM files there.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

Do not come to visit me with both arms the same length.

e-post:		tonni@billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl