CAN LOGIN WORK WITHOUT PAM

Hello To All u Folks,

This is really troubling me.... If anyone can help. I have an old slackware linux box. It has got nss i.e ldap-nss.so ,but no PAM support available.

Getent passwd , command does return ldap results and is working fine.
When i use the Login program for authenticate against OPENLDAP server the connection is made with the server - i checked using the netstat command - but authentication fails.

My question is what's the difference in getent and login as far as LDAP is concerned, if any AND Is PAM support imperative for the Login prog. to work with LDAP ?

thanks in advance