RE: ldap in heterogenous environment

Title: RE: ldap in heterogenous environment

Hello.

I am also confused as hell.

I have installed MIT kerberos and ripped it out again.
I have installed Heimdal and ripped it out again.
repeat, rinse...

I now have heimdal in.  I believe I have a working and
usable ldap server - just no clue on what to put it in
to make anything work.  I believe I also have a working
ssl/sasl config etc... but I can only sometimes get it to
work and then without changing anything, it will stop working.

Basically, it seems to me like there are 3 or 4 different programs each
with their own idea of how things should work.. and making one work
seems to break another.

I have a solaris 8 box... with multiple IPs on a single interface device.
This seems to cause no end of confusion as the error messages
are little more than "error" or "invalid data" ... NEVER, and I repeat,
NOT ONCE EVER have ANY of the programs ever stated just what is
invalid or what does not match.  You know, something like "Gee,
your cert is signed to host blah.domain, but you are running against
foo.domain"  or "attempting to use auth 'blah' but 'blah" is not
found in database/configfile [food]"

A web server can run hosting multiple domains - what about an
ldap server?  Is there a "bind" type config directive?  Right now,
I have to change my hostname, launch ldap and then change my hostname
back.  It also now seems that after a while, the service just stops working.
No real errors or reason why.

... nevermind the fact that I can't even find a single example of how to set up
ldap for solaris to actually have solaris work (everything is out of date,
or doesn't work).  still.

I have now spent 3 weeks straight on this.  everyday.

Scott