RE: ldap in heterogenous environment

--On Monday, April 21, 2003 4:58 PM +0200 Tony Earnshaw <tonni@billy.demon.nl> wrote:

søn, 20.04.2003 kl. 16.36 skrev Howard Chu:

This has been discussed here before. The solution that we recommend is
to use Heimdal with PADL's hdb-ldap backend and Symas' patches. (Not all
of the patches were present in Heimdal 0.5.2 so it seems you still have
to apply some by hand.) This approach gives the tightest integration,
putting the Kerberos user database in LDAP itself.

I'm now totally confused. At the last count, I seem to remember reading (without going back to it) that you said that Heimdal had bugs that made it more or less useless and that one should use MIT Kerberos. Previously I'd heard that MIT Kerberos was totally useless and that Heimdal was the solution.

Could someone please elucidate?

Tony,

I've never seen Howard or Kurt advocate the use of MIT Kerberos. We use Kerberos on a daily basis here, and my tests have repeatedly shown that only Heimdal's implementation is stable in a threaded environment when combined with OpenLDAP.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Senior Systems Administrator ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html