Re: pam_ldap auth failure for telnet - sorry for the repeated question.

You have issues basically as the passwords are stored encrypted in the LDAP DB and you are trying to send in classical plain text.. non crypted.. passwords
Vishal

Alexei Monastyrnyi wrote:
Hi List,
sorry for the annying postings but...
I can't understand what's wrong with my configuration.

I'm running Open LDAP 2.1.17 on Solaris 9 box. Now I'm trying to use the
same box as client, configuring telnet auth via local LDAP.
I have valid LDAP entry "erik" with valid password (I've double checked it
with LDAP GUI Editor)

File /etc/pam.conf has lines
telnet  auth sufficient /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
telnet  auth required   /usr/lib/security/pam_ldap.so.1 use_first_pass

File //etc/ldap.conf  has lines
host 127.0.0.1
base dc=orcsoftware,dc=com

slapd is up and running with option -d 1, listening on port 389.

Trying to telnet to the box, I have
SunOS 5.9
login: erik
Password:
Login incorrect

And in syslog I can see
Apr 17 16:56:22 er login: [ID 244269 auth.error] pam_ldap: error trying to
bind
as user "uid=erik,ou=People,dc=orcsoftware,dc=com" (Invalid credentials)

I'm quite new in LDAP and maybe it's a bit silly question.
But I do not believe that nobody has any hint of how to overcome it. :-)
Or?

Really, thanks in advance for ANY clue!

Sincerely,
Alexei Monastyrnyi,
System Engineer,
Orc Software AB.
Birger Jarlsgatan 32A Box 7742   Reception   +46 8 407 38 00
SE-103 95 Stockholm Sweden      Fax              +46 8 407 38 01
www.orcsoftware.com                 Direct          +46 8 407 38 02
alexeim@orcsoftware.com           Mobile        +46 70 377 5777

Disparate Needs ------ One Solution --- INETBOX
Ampersand Info-Tech Pvt.Ltd      phone  +91 (0)11 / 26318821
New Delhi -- Munich              fax    +91 (0)11 / 2632 2980
http://www.aitpl.com
Linux - Solaris - Windows - Software Application Partners
The information contained in this message (including any attachments)is
confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it from your system immediately - any
disclosure, copying or distribution thereof or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance thereon is prohibited and may be
unlawful. AITPL makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness
of any information contained in this message and hereby excludes any
liability of any kind for the information contained herein or for the
transmission, reception, storage or use of such information in any way
whatsoever.  Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of AITPL.