Re: 2.1.17 performance issues

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Thursday, April 17, 2003 11:19 AM -0300 Andreas
> <andreas@conectiva.com.br> wrote:
> OpenLDAP is online at the OpenLDAP website in its FAQ.  The several recent
> questions about BDB & OpenLDAP have shown that people are not even
> bothering to check the FAQ.  Also, one could use the search function of the
> list archives to see the answer to this and related questions that have
> been answered many times, which is why they are a part of the FAQ.  The
> failure I see here is not a lack of documentation on the OpenLDAP side, but
> a lack of willingness of users to go read documentation, and instead rely
> on asking questions of the list on how to do basic configuration.

I've gone through the documentation. I also read a lot of sleepycats
documentation. It's not willingness, the information is not logically
organized and hard to find and scatered. for example there's no man
page for set_option() call to switch from protocol version etc...
man slapd.conf info is also outdated for bdb.

The problem was that i thought it couldn't be a cache problem since i
didn't have massive disk IO. And a restart didn't solve
anything. If it normally was a cache problem, then a restart of the server
should normally solve it.

But the cache setting is cleary weird (why store on disc, it couldn't be
for recovery,reliability since WAL is used). Also directory tend to
grow over time, this means that users will get a major performance penalty
when their directory grows and exeeed their cache size. At least a mention
in install doc would help a lot i think. But this cachething also hurts
ppl when only reads are done. I've performed test with only authentication
and filter operations. The performance degrades severly after a few test
runs.

forgive me for critizing, i really think openldap is great. But the
documentation could be organised better.