Re: 2.1.17 performance issues

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:43:16PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> These questions about why/how BerkeleyDB works are beyond the scope of this
> mailing list. You might try finding someone at sleepycat.com to answer them

People look at openldap as a whole, even if contains third party software
such as openssl libraries, sasl and bdb. It should be expected that these
kind of questions will show up on this mailing list.

Since bdb is the default backend in openldap-2.1, I think it would be nice
to devote a little more attention to these questions, perhaps in the
documentation, perhaps with more faq entries, etc. Every now and then
someone has bad performance problems and he/she is referred to an offsite
project. I understand that sleepycat will of course have more information
about bdb than openldap, but the two have to live together. If the backend
is badly tuned, well, the user will first see this as an openldap problem.