Re: can't compile 2.1.16 on Redhat 9. More info.

This worked like a charm! Thanks for the helping hand.

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 22:42, Mitrana Cristian wrote:
Brian K. Jones wrote:
> I'm still unable to compile 2.1.16 on Redhat 9.  Below is my configure line
> and config.log after the failure.  By the way, this happens either with the
> Redhat-supplied openssl or one built from scratch.
>
> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, as I don't claim expert status in
> the area of debugging gcc and libtool errors and the like.
>
> In short, the 'configure' process can't find the ssl header files, no matter
> where I put them!  This also happens if I add a '-I/usr/include' or a
> '-I/usr/include/openssl' to the CPPFLAGS.  I've also tried using
> '--with-tls=openssl' instead of having it detected automatically.  I've tried
> a bunch of semantical changes, all with similar results.  I've also tried
> configuring without the --with-tls flag, which then (of course) disables tls
> altogether, and I've tried compiling with nothing else *but* the --with-tls
> flag - with the same result.

[...]

> In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
>                  from configure:11029:
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 11028 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include <openssl/ssl.h>
> configure:11023: checking for ssl.h
> configure:11033: cc -E -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include conftest.c
>
>>/dev/null 2>conftest.out
>
> In file included from /usr/include/ssl.h:179,
>                  from configure:11029:
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 11028 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include <ssl.h>

I guess these are the relevant lines. Openssl-0.9.7a, as shipped with RH
(I have taken it from rawhide) is compiled with Kerberos support. As you
can see from the configure log, detection failed because it didn't find
krb5.h. Put "-I/usr/kerberos/include" in your CFLAGS and it will work.
Note that you must install krb5-devel to have the krb5.h available.
  I got the same error after upgrading to openssl-0.9.7a and this trick
solved the compilation.

hth,
mitu