RE: problem reading directory with 2.1.17

If you're saying what I think you're saying, the answer is "Read the OpenLDAP
2.1 Administrator's Guide ... ... ..." http://www.openldap.org/doc/

You cannot run an OpenLDAP 2.1 server on the 2.0 database files. You must
export the database to LDIF and re-import it into the 2.1 server.

  -- Howard Chu