RE: Is the OpenLDAP documentation kinda old?

You are right, sir.

I didn't know that Solaris has its own LDAP.

Yes, just as expected, if I do

# ldapsearch

I am using the default Solaris LDAP, which does not
accept the -x option.

and if I go to the /usr/local/bin, where I have the
OpenLDAP ldapsearch and do

# ./ldapsearch

I am using the real OpenLDAP ldapsearch and the -x
option works!

The proof:

# cd /usr/bin
# ls -l ld*
-r-xr-xr-x   2 root     bin        18352 Apr  6  2002
ldapadd
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin         9192 Apr  6  2002
ldapdelete
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        14352 Apr  6  2002
ldaplist
-r-xr-xr-x   2 root     bin        18352 Apr  6  2002
ldapmodify
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        10684 Apr  6  2002
ldapmodrdn
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        14228 Apr  6  2002
ldapsearch
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        13072 Apr  6  2002
ldd

I have moved the Solaris ldap commands into
/usr/bin/LDAP, this way, I will be using the OpenLDAP
commands that are at /usr/local/bin, which is the PATH
variable.