Re: how scalable is openldap

=> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 13:11:12 -0700, Ian Logan <ian@nmsu.edu> said:

> There was a thread on this mailing list last month (or maybe in Feb.)
> along those lines. Someone from Univ. of Florida (I think)
> was talking about having 1.5 to 2 million entries.

That'd be me.

We've got 1.15 million people, and another 100,000-ish other objects in our
LDAP right now, once we get really swinging I expect us to add at least
another few hundred thousand.

Performance on appropriately indexed queries is lightning fast.

No query without a useful index ever completes. :)

You will run into size limitations for some of the things you want to stick
into this size of a database.  My group which records every 'authenticatable
user' is larger than 8MB, I was dumping core when I tried to ldapadd or
ldapmodify it, Howard recommended a compilation tweak which we've yet to
attempt.

You will run into size limitations on the database containers: id2entry.dbb is
WAY over 2G.  If your filesystem gets mad at that you've got problems.

You will run into locking limitations on modifications of some large entries.
I haven't been able to elicit the problem on demand, but I fairly regularly
find that OpenLDAP stops responding to queries while it processes a modify for
a smaller, but still large, indexed group (60,000 members or so)

I still "occasionally" get what I'd refer to as database corruption:
ldapdelete sez "It's not here", ldapadd sez "It's already here".

- Allen S. Rout