Re: make test got stuck at Testing for slave slapd...

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Just an FYI... I've seen extremely poor performance results using Solaris
> 9.  Sun made a major change in the way in which Solaris handles threads
> between 8 and 9.  If you are looking to deploy a production OpenLDAP
> service, I suggest using Solaris 8 instead of 9.

Hmm..  I do not find this to be correct.  I just ran a DirectoryMark
benchmark (100,000 entry dataset, 20 simultaneous clients, 100,000
different search samples) on Solaris 9 - fairly recent patches, (1 CPU
440Mhz Ultrasparc IIi, 512MB RAM)  against Openldap 2.1.16 (tpool patch,
latest CVS SASL, Sleepycat 4.1.25).  I am able to get over 800 searches
per second and with more tweaking I can probably do better.

This number is probably not indicative measure of a real world
application, but it does not indicate performance problems with Solaris 9.
I tested Solaris 8 awhile back and it performed roughly the same.

-Igor

--
Igor